Volunteer Position Descriptions
Polling Place Inspector
The Polling Place Inspector has the responsibility of overseeing the Election Day operations at an assigned polling place. This includes managing and working with poll workers assigned to the polling place, coordination of site access, picking up supplies, setting up equipment, assisting and processing voters, completing the closing procedures, and transporting the results and supplies to a collection center on Election Night.
- Hours: From 6:00 a.m. until supplies and equipment are turned in at the collection center at approximately 10:00 p.m.
- Stipend for serving as a Polling Place Inspector: $20.00 for attending training, $10.00 for picking up supplies and $130.00 for serving on Election Day.
Polling Place Clerk
The Polling Place Clerk has the responsibility to assist the Inspector in the polling place operations. This includes setting up equipment and supplies, assisting and processing voters, and assisting in the closing procedures. If you have bilingual skills this helps us to comply with federal law. Individuals are needed who are bilingual in Chinese, Korean, Spanish or Vietnamese.
- Hours: From 6:00 a.m. until all closing procedures are complete at approximately 9:30 p.m.
- Stipend for serving as a Polling Place Clerk: $20.00 for attending training, $100.00 for serving on Election Day.
Election Day Coordinators
Election Day Coordinators play a vital role in Election Day communications, general troubleshooting and polling place supply replenishment. Coordinators are assigned a number of polling places to provide backup support and to monitor statutory compliance and procedures.
Previous service as a Polling Place Inspector in a recent Election, have reliable transportation, have a valid California Driver's License, and current automobile insurance in the Coordinator's name.
- Hours: From 5:30 a.m. until all assigned polls are closed and coordinator supplies and equipment are turned in at an assigned drop-off site at approximately 10:00 p.m.
- Stipend for serving as a Coordinator: $30.00 for attending training, $15.00 per hour (up to $270.00 ) for serving on Election Day and $60.00 for mileage.
- County of Orange employees receive your normal days pay (8 hours), $30.00 for attending training, $130.00 for serving on Election Day and paid mileage.
Election Day “A” Team
The “A” Team are trained poll workers that report to the Registrar of Voters office Election Morning to be dispatched to polling places where needed. “A” Team members may be requested to act as the polling place Inspector in case of an emergency. As an “A” Team member, you must be ready to travel to any polling place in Orange County on Election Day.
- Hours: From 6:00 a.m. until polling place closing procedures are complete at approximately 9:30 p.m.
- Stipend for serving on the “A” Team: $20.00 for attending Inspector training, $130.00 for serving on Election Day, plus mileage.
Election Supply Collection Center Worker
Under the direction of the Collection Center Supervisor, the Collection Center Worker will perform duties as assigned, which will include traffic control, supply box and equipment movement, communications and information recording. Must be able to lift up to 70 pounds with assistance. Locations vary throughout Orange County.
- Hours: 7:30 p.m. until all assigned polling places have returned their supplies at approximately 11:30 p.m.
- Stipend for serving: $12.50 per hour (6 hours guaranteed).
Election Night Tally Center Operations
Under supervision, Election Night Tally Center Crewmembers will perform various tasks as assigned. Typical tasks include unloading supply boxes, sorting election material, handling of equipment, and preparation of ballots. Some positions require lifting up to 70 pounds with assistance.
- Hours: 5:30 p.m. until processes are complete (approximately 2:00 a.m.)
- Stipend for serving: $11.00 per hour