Student Poll Worker Program
In 1996 the California State Legislature amended election law to allow high school students to serve as poll workers on Election Day. This special program gives students hands-on experience with the voting process. Join other high school students throughout Orange County as they discover firsthand how the American electoral process works. You'll have an opportunity to make a difference even before you can cast your vote!
Qualifications to Participate as a Student Poll Worker
- You must be a United States citizen by the time you volunteer on Election Day
- Minimum age is 16 years of age
- Be a current high school student
- Be a student in good academic standing
- Have a GPA of at least 2.5
- Have permission of your parent or guardian and school
- You will receive $75 for volunteering on Election Day and $20 for attending the mandatory training - almost 100 bucks! ($95 to be precise)
- You will receive a personalized certificate of thanks from the Registrar of Voters
- Some schools offer class credit for volunteering on Election Day, especially if you are in a government or political science class (check with your school administration or teachers)
- Some schools also offer credit or hours for volunteering on Election Day in order to fulfill a community service requirement for graduation (check with your school administration or teachers)
- Set up and administer designated polling place with assistance of your fellow poll workers
- Direct voters to sign in, and verify signature
- Assist voters in the operation of the electronic voting booths or paper ballot voting
- Answer voters' procedural questions
- Close polls at the end of the Election Day with assistance of your fellow poll workers
Hours of Service
- Polling places are open from 7 a.m. - 8 p.m.
- Poll workers must arrive at 6 a.m.
- The assignment typically concludes at 9 p.m.
- Sign up using our volunteer application form
- You will need to obtain your parents' and school's permission (full details are included with your application)
MyBallot Student Election Program
You or your school may also be interested in our one-of-a-kind MyBallot Student Election program! This unique program brings elections to your school and teaches you how to design ballots, run an election and tally votes.