Hosting a Polling Place
Finding polling places does not always work out so easily. Why? Oftentimes polling locations cannot be found due to a limited amount of space in a precinct or a lack of accessible sites. This is why we rely on the community to provide qualified polling locations. Donate your business or home as a polling place for Election Day and we'll provide all of the items needed to operate a polling place, from tables and chairs to staffing.
Polling Place Minimum Requirements
- The room used for voting must have 600 square feet of useable floor space
- Restroom availability for poll workers
- Adequate lighting both inside and outside until the end of Election Day
- At least two 3-prong electrical outlets
- Space enough to accommodate 6 to 12 eSlates (electric voting booths), cardboard voting booths, table(s) and chairs
- A secured area to store equipment caddy which houses the voting booths, which is approximately 28” deep /31” wide /60” long
- Allow access prior to Election Day for a site visit and remain available for changes in requirements and new election information
Equipment Delivery to Your Location
Delivery and pick up of the electronic voting equipment is coordinated with a contracted Orange County vendor. Delivery occurs throughout the 10 days prior to Election Day. Scheduling arrangements are made by the contracted vendor with you directly. When scheduling delivery, a pick-up window is planned for the week following the election.
Polling Place Operational Hours
Polls are open from 7:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. on Election Day. Poll workers will arrive on-site at 6:00 a.m. and will usually leave by 9:00 p.m.
Early Set Up
It is helpful to allow the poll workers to set up the night prior to Election Day. You will have an opportunity to become acquainted with the group of poll workers who will be participating on Election Day. In addition, this will allow pressure to be relieved from poll workers from having to set-up early on Election Day. While this is not a requirement for becoming a polling location we encourage your cooperation with early set-ups.
You will be compensated $50.00 for the use of your business or home. This is also a satisfying way to make a real difference in the lives of the hundreds of thousands of voters who use the polls each election. We also offer a unique Corporate Sponsorship program for businesses who would like to expand their community presence.