City Employee Poll Worker Program
Orange County city employees who volunteer to serve on Election Day will receive training on polling place operations and the County's voting equipment. Bilingual Chinese, Korean, Spanish and Vietnamese speaking employees are especially needed to meet the requirements of the federal Voting Rights Act.
Help us meet the following goals:
- Provide trained staff at polling places on Election Day
- Increase and strengthen the availability of bilingual poll workers
- Maintain a reliable force of trained poll workers
Before you sign up, please be sure you can commit to working from 6 a.m. to 9 p.m. on Election Day and that you meet the basic volunteer qualifications. While all efforts are made to place volunteers as close to home as possible, it is not a guarantee. We do require a valid reason to cancel within 15 days of an election unless it is an emergency.
For serving you will receive:
- A stipend of $20 to complete required training
- A stipend of $100 to serve as a Clerk
- A stipend of $130 to serve as an Inspector, plus $10 to pick up supplies
- A stipend of $100 plus mileage to serve as a Coordinator or on A-Team member
- Your city may provide additional compensation for your service - please check with your city's Human Resources department
- Set up and administer designated polling place with assistance of your fellow poll workers
- Direct voters to sign in, and verify signature
- Assist voters in the operation of the electronic voting booths or paper ballot voting
- Answer voters' procedural questions
- Close polls at the end of the Election Day with assistance of your fellow poll workers
Hours of Service
- Polling places are open from 7 a.m. - 8 p.m.
- Poll workers must arrive at 6 a.m.
- The assignment typically concludes at 9 p.m.